Yacht Management Applied
Our case studies highlight a wealth of experience on the water.
Pre-Purchase Yacht Consultation:
Westport 112′ Motoryacht
Becket & Company just completed a pre-purchase yacht consultation for one of our long-term clients who owned a Hinckley Talaria 40. We organized and managed the survey and sea trial process of a Westport 112′ Motoryacht he decided to purchase.
Our yacht consulting work included:
- Recommending hull, engine and electrical systems surveyors
- Representing the buyer throughout survey, sea trial and conditional acceptance
- Working with listing and selling brokers to address items on surveyors list and expedite closing for our customer\Recommending an insurance broker and advising the owner on coverage necessary
- Interviewing potential captains with the buyer and carrying out necessary due diligence (background checks etc) on the candidates.
- Working with brokerage house to organize trade of Hinckley in the deal and transfer of the boat’s ownership to brokerage house at closing
- Facilitating the Hinckley’s survey for brokerage house
- Organizing the placement of funds in escrow to complete previously requested winter work on the Hinckley prior to the Westport purchase
2000 Hinckley® Picnic Boat Fuel Tank Refit & Bottom Job
This Classic Picnic Boat suffered from leaking fuel tanks. This can be a common occurrence with original equipment (2000) aluminum tanks. Moisture inside the tanks on the tank walls can corrode the weld points of the tank and cause the tank to fail from the inside out.
Fuel Tank Refit Process:
- In order to access the fuel tanks, the engine must be removed, along with engine bay bulkheads and stringers. Once the stringers are cut out, the old tanks can be slid out of place. They are then replaced with plastic tanks. New stringers are then bedded in place, new bulkheads fabricated and installed, and the engine bay receives a fresh coat of gelcoat. We also took the opportunity of having the engine out of the boat to address all signs of corrosion and clean and protect all areas that would otherwise be extremely difficult to access.
Additional work managed:
- The bottom was in rough condition and had never been stripped. Paint adhered poorly, there was extensive chipping, and heavy build up. The bottom was soda blasted, sanded, primed, and two coats of Micron CSC ablative bottom paint were applied.
- The varnish was also in poor condition due to lack of attention over just one season. Heavy sanding was required along with the build up of four coats.
Refit Management: 2000 Hinckley® Picnic Boat Electronics Refit
Becket & Co. worked with an owner to fully update his 2000 Classic Picnic Boat with the latest marine electronics so that he and his family will feel safe and comfortable on the water. Picnic Boats 10 years old or more benefit from a complete electronics refit to make them safer and give the owner the tools to make better decisions that can affect safety.
We oversaw the removal of the original Northstar® chartplotter and Raymarine® radar and are currently managing the installation of the following new electronics:
- Raymarine® E120W Chartplotter
- Raymarine® RD418D 4kw radome
- Raystar® 125 plus GPS sensor and a Sea Talk HS crossover coupler
- Sirius® satellite radio
- AIS 500 (a vessel identification system now widely used on pleasure craft)
We also ensured the helm pod face was resurfaced with new teak veneer:
- 2 sealer, 6 build-up, and 2 finish coats of varnish were applied.
Additional work we’ve managed:
- Maintenance varnish
- Main water seal replacement on the vessel’s Hamilton waterjet
New Build Management: Hinckley®
Talaria 55′ Hull #14
Becket & Company represented the owners of Hinckley Talaria 55 Hull #14, which was
completed in 2012.
Managing this new build process included:
- Full documentation of the process for owners
- Twice-monthly inspections of the build process
- Advise on various build options
- Interact with production team on owner’s behalf
- Oversee full-size mockup of vessel’s galley and salon to aid in maximizing design for custom galley and salon